As part of transition planning for a youth with disabilities, you may consider inviting any number of consultants to help in planning. As part of the article Adult Services: What Are They? Where Are They?, we discussed the primary agencies who may be invited to send a representative to the IEP meeting where transition is being discussed (e.g., Social Security Administration, Vocational Rehabilitation), but there are many other potential players and contributors.

The list below is meant to stimulate the possibilities!

Potential Consultant | His or Her Relationship to Transition Planning

Adult Education Representative | Provides information about lifelong education options

Advocacy Organization(s) Representative | May offer self-advocacy training or support groups for young adults

Assistive Technology Representative | Provides expertise on devices that can open doors to opportunities

At-Risk/Prevention Specialist | Offers counseling and support on teen pregnancy, alcohol, and drugs

Business-Education Partnership Rep. | Provides links between schools and local businesses and industry

Community Action Agency Representative | May link team to resources for traditionally underrepresented groups

Correctional Education Staff | Provides incarcerated youth with continued learning opportunities

Drop-Out Prevention Representative | Provides youth with alternatives to dropping out of school

Employer | Offers insight into expectations; promotes hiring of people with disabilities

Employment Specialist | Provides job development, placement, coaching

Extension Service Agent | Offers programs in parenting, homemaking, independent living

Guidance Counselor | Provides information on curriculum, assessment, graduation requirements, college

Health Department/School Nurse | Provides guidance on community health services and health care advice

Higher Education Representative | Provides information on postsecondary services to students with disabilities

Housing Agency Representative | Assists in developing housing options

Leisure Program Representative | Knows available program options within the community

Literacy Council Representative | Coordinates volunteers to teach basic reading and writing skills

Local Government Representative | Funds many local services; can provide information on local services

Local Disability Representative (e.g., UCP) | Provides information and training (often serves all disabilities, not just one)

Parent Training Information Center  | Provides training on transition planning and advocacy services to families

Religious Community Member | Can provide social support to young adults and their families

Residential Service Provider | Can help access specialized housing

Social Worker | Provides guidance and arranges for case management, support, respite care

Special Olympics Representative | Provides sports training, competition, and recreational opportunities for youth

Therapists | Provide behavioral, physical, occupational, & speech services in the community

Transportation Representative | Offers expertise about transportation options and training

United Way Representative | Funds many community programs that may offer options for young adults

VSA (formerly Very Special Arts) Representative | Provides information on art programs and opportunities for youth

Vocational Educator | Provides job training; teaches work-related skills

YMCA/YWCA | Offers recreation and leisure programs


Back to top

Which Transition Page Would You Like to Visit Now?

Back to top