Useful to Parent Centers, transition specialists, youth with developmental disabilities, and families in addressing independent living supports.
Partners in Living is a self-study course created to help people with developmental disabilities, their family, and friends explore four important elements that, together, can help them create a meaningful life: self-determination, family support, community living, and assistive technology. In this course, participants will decide what is meaningful to them and learn about:
- self-determination and the importance of personal choice and life-planning;
- self-directed services and financial control, including examining funding sources;
- family support and how it has changed over the years;
- the financial, physical and emotional resources that can help families stay together;
- community living and some of the many options available to help people with developmental disabilities live independently in the community;
- assistive technology and how it is changing the way people with developmental disabilities live, work, and play.
Access Partners in Living at: