The U.S. Department of Education (ED), in collaboration with the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), released a school discipline guidance package to help states, districts, and schools develop practices and strategies that enhance school climate while also ensuring that those policies and practices comply with federal law. The guidance includes:
- a guidance letter;
- three guiding principles based on research and best practice;
- a directory of federal technical assistance and other resources on school discipline and climate available to schools and districts;
- a compendium of school discipline laws and regulations in each state and territory; and
- an overview of the Supportive School Discipline Initiative.
(Posted January 8, 2014)
- Overview webinar on Supportive School Discipline Initiative from Safe Supportive School Learning Environments, January 22 at 3:30 pm EST: https://safesupportivelearning.ed.gov/events/webinar/overview-school-discipline-guidance-package